what's goin on

I know I said I would try my hardest to not neglect the blog, but it's been a very stressful, crazy, busy week 2 weeks! Here's a bit about what's a been going on here lately .... 


THE RIOTS


WTF England? This shiz is bananas! On Saturday a man was shot and killed by police officers in an area of London called Tottenham. They haven't released much information on why he was shot but one can assume he was a threat and the police had reason. On Saturday evening there were peaceful protests because of the excessive force used by the police. Understandable. But then all Hell broke lose. Riots in Tottenham. Cars and buildings on fire, smashed windows, looted stores, bricks thrown at police officers! Well apparently every hoodrat in England saw the riots in Tottenham and how little control the police had over the situation and they decided that they should express themselves as well. The riots now have nothing to do with the man that was shot. It's a bunch of idiots with no real cause other than to cause trouble. The majority of the rioters are teenagers and it seems like they're just doing it for kicks and to push the limits - ''F the Police'' attitude. On Monday night neighborhoods all over London were bring rioted. A few miles away from where we live the town center was being burned, someone was shot, and we could hear sirens and helicopters all night. We double locked our doors, kept the news on, and had emergency bags ready to go just in case the violence spread down our busy street. One of the saddest stories to emerge from our part of town was a huge furniture store that was completely burned to the ground. The fire was like something out of a movie and there is nothing left at all of the building that was owned by the same family for 5 generations. Last night was relatively quiet and it seems like the London police have the situation under control but now cities all over England are popping off! Manchester, Birmingham and Liverpool are all over the news this morning with similar stories to what we experienced on Monday night. The whole thing is so sad and scary. And pointless, that's the part that makes me mad, they have no cause.

THE NEW JOB
Not much to report on that as I'm still getting settled but so far so good. It's going to take a while to learn all the policies, practices, and systems, and the HR department is allllways busy. It's a big change from my last job but I think I'm going to really enjoy it. Everyone is really friendly and helpful but it's kind of intimidating how good at their job everyone on my team is. I'm sure I'll get there eventually and in the meantime I'm learning a lot and getting a lot of really good experience. 

The question everyone keeps asking is - what's it like working with Ash? It's kind of like going to the same college but having different majors. We don't commute together (my hours are 8:30 - 4:30 and his are 7:30 - 4). We see each other for lunch or a coffee when we plan to, but otherwise we don't bump into each other. In a building of over 1000 people I do really feel like a freshman again, but Ash is a cool upperclassman and I've met a lot of people through him. So overall the new job is going well.

THE VISITORS
Mom next week! Mom next week! Mom next week! The riots better calm the F down because they better not be messing up my mama visit. I am so excited for her to come. She's going to stay at The Nielsen's house in Wimbledon and we have big nothings planned. Movies, errands, and dinners together and just hanging out. Her and Ash's mom have lots planned to do while I'm at work during the day so she won't be bored, and I'm just looking forward to her being here sooo much! 

Oh yea! Almost forgot to tell y'all about my cousins visiting! My cousins came to visit! Omg did we have fun. Like the most fun ever. Just like old times, pick up right where you left off, kind of fun. We went sightseeing, stayed up late talking, acted silly, and just enjoyed each other's company. Aunt Donna, Uncle Scott, Becca and Tori arrived on Thursday evening, I met them at their hotel after work for a later dinner and spent the night with them. On Friday we did a whirlwind tour of the city and then met Ash after work for dinner and (many many) drinks. Ash fit right in with my family's crazy antics. Playing dress up at the pub, Aunt Donna interviewing random people at the bar, stopping to do squats on the way home - what a fun night :) 

When I turned up at their hotel on Saturday for day 2 of sightseeing there was an extra guest. My cousin Brittany!! She decided at the last minute to join the family on their European adventure. Since leaving Buffalo to move to North Carolina, times with my cousins have been few and far between. Then there was the backpacking and now being in London, it's nearly impossible to coordinate our crazy lives. This was the first time in years that all 4 of us were together for a slumber party. To say it made my heart happy is an understatement. I loved having them here sooo much. I loved catching up on the little details of their lives, reminiscing about how weird we were when we were little, and laughing about how different yet how much the same we all are. We made memories that weekend that we'll all never forget!

never too old for dress up

cousin love

I'm the most fun tour guide ever

drinking buddies, I think Uncle Scott was happy for some guy time

and Ash always thought I got my craziness from my Dad 

end of an awesome night

and then there was 4! 

tourist family

i love you girls always & forever, thank you for a great weekend :) 

So yea, that's the latest. 
More updates on the reg coming your way in the somewhat near future! 
Please pray the riots stop soon! 
Make Love Not War,
K. x 




No comments:

Post a Comment